Titan Fund Frequently Asked Questions
- My family is already paying tuition for my child to attend MDS. What exactly am I 'getting' when I make a pledge to the Titan Fund?Your financial contribution to the Titan Annual Fund supports the people and programs that define MDS : amazing teachers, small classes, instructional resources, technology advancements, and enrichment classes (art, Spanish, PE, technology). Tuition only covers 83% of our operating budget, so MDS relies on a combination of grants and unrestricted funds/donations (ie Titan Fund) to make up the difference.
- Why does tuition not cover all of our budget? Why can we not raise tuition and avoid the Annual Fund, altogether?Morganton Day School is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit institution. We are here to provide the best education to a diverse group of students, which requires tuition to be affordable. In order to provide the best programs and competitive compensation to our outstanding faculty and staff, we continually evaluate and assess tuition increases. However, unlike tuition, a financial contribution to the Titan Fund is fully tax-deductible and allow each family to give at a meaningful level to which they are able.
- I receive a scholarship or reduced tuition to MDS. Should I still give?Yes, please! Even if your family is financially unable to write a large check, your participation is vital in our efforts to obtain grants. Many foundations look for 100% participation from families when reviewing grant applications. Also, we now have an online payment option, which allows you to have small amounts credited during the year. A gift of $5/week (cheaper than a cup of Starbucks), for instance, adds up to over $200!
- I want to contribute, but I am unable to pay for it all at once. Can I pledge or pay in installments??You can make a one-time gift, pledge now for later payment, or make smaller payments over time. You may pay by cash, check, credit card, Paypal, appreciated stock, or through workplace giving programs. Select the terms and method that work best for you, and indicate your intentions on your pledge form.
- I have heard that some companies match funds. How exactly does that work?Many employers will honor their employees’ personal donations with a matching gift. Please check with your employer’s Human Resources department to see if they offer a matching gift program or check using the website https://www.matchinggifts.com/rit/. If so, be sure to forward your employer’s matching gift form with your contribution and/or contact our Advancement Office to discuss. Some local companies that match include Wells Fargo and Google.